Sunday, June 18, 2006

What I actually do all day

A fairly common question I get is what I do for a living. This is a rather difficult question to answer, because what I actually do is create a specialized set of plugins for applications used by the computer-animation and computer-aided manufacturing industries. Got that? To be specific, I write software for calculating curved surfaces, which surfaces are second-derivative continuous, allow for mid-surface termination of their isoparms, and form a superset of both subdivision surfaces and NURBS surfaces.

Basically, unless you have a fairly decent background in engineering or 3D modeling, it's very difficult to explain what I do. I was digging through some old pictures wondering what might be a good idea to post on my blog, and I ran across a photograph I took of a whiteboard. The whiteboard is on the wall of the company I visited in Seattle a few months ago, and I wrote myself a lot of notes on how something worked. Since I was leaving Seattle in a day or so, I just took a bunch of photos of the whiteboard so that I could hang onto the notes. Clear? Anyway, the stuff I work with looks pretty much like what you see on the whiteboard. If it makes sense to you, perhaps you should contact me so that we can offer you a job.

Someone else has made a more coherent attempt at explaining what I do. Feel free to flip through that if you actually care. Most people don't, really.

My dad's in Chicago right now. Peter, who writes a far more interesting blog, also lives in Chicago, so I got him to call my dad and help him find the tourist traps. Dad's at a conference and hasn't got very much to do, so tourist traps are a welcome distraction.

It's late and I'm supposed to be asleep, but I'm not tired. I will make a half-hearted attempt in a few minutes anyway, so wish me luck.

6 comments:

Ocouss said...

Well that throws off my theory that you guys were probably hanging out with your dad for Father's Day. O well. I guess I shall have to hope that my guess is right next time.

Cavan said...

I vote Frank off the island!

I feel obligated to comment on your blog, even when I have nothing to say. This is a mystery to me.

Anonymous said...

You know, until you just linked me, I had no idea you had a blog.

Cavan said...

You promised me an Iraq post!

Andale!

Anonymous said...

Peyton

Shana said...

I left the first comment with the spelling of Peyton on the wrong post (this post). It's confusing, because the comments for the post above it look like they belong to the post below it, because there is no line between them. I'm just saying.