Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A whole new breed of penguin

Yesterday, BBC released some short clips about a newly discovered colony of penguins. My apologies to those of you that have YouTube blocked -- just search for 'penguins' on the BBC's website, and it's in the sidebar.

There were some great pranks from other sources yesterday. Probably the biggest was YouTube modifying the entire front page so that all the featured videos linked to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up," instead of the video actually posted. In other words, they rickrolled their entire userbase. The name of the user posting the video was "YTRickRollsU," and the user page was a "Happy April Fools Day 2008" page.

I don't know what poor Mr. Astley did to deserve all the attention, but I hope he didn't sell his soul for it.

Oh, it looks like Robert Mugabe, the tinpot dictator of once-prosperous Zimbabwe, may have actually lost the election. This in spite of a significant campaign of media control and intimidation against his opponents. True, they have an inflation rate of 100,000%, some 80% unemployment, and the lowest life expectancy in the world, but it's still rather remarkable for someone as entrenched as Mugabe to actually lose an election. Here's hoping that Tsvangirai is more competent than his predecessor--fortunately for him, that's a wonderfully low bar.

I meant to do my taxes two days ago. I haven't forgotten, I just keep leaving necessary forms in all the wrong places.

2 comments:

Cavan said...

Mugabe lost an election?

Watch out, Lukashenko!

Shana said...

Holy COW, are those penguins for real? I actually said, "holy cow" out loud when I watched. Top notch blogging, big brotha.