Sunday, April 08, 2012

Birthday thoughts

I recently had another birthday. This brings to mind that posting on my blog that I recently had a birthday makes it somewhat easier for complete strangers to answer my security questions, particularly when my blog also contains my real name (it probably does). So here you go, complete strangers.

I suppose some folks would therefore carefully avoid mentioning birthdays, but honestly, that isn't the world I want to live in. It's much the same reason that I don't want to carry a gun--I prefer to live in a world where I don't need one. Of course, people do steal identities, and people do get mugged, but I think I prefer to trust by default.

Perhaps I'll get burned for that someday, but when you trust someone, I think it often creates in them a desire to live up to that trust. It makes everyone happier--and a little more honest. I think that's worth the small risk of getting burned occasionally.

3 comments:

Damaris said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Andrea Landaker said...

Happy birthday! Any place that uses a birthday as some sort of "security" is idiotic to begin with. That's like using someone's phone number . . . oh wait, I just saw a site doing that the other day . . .

Aegis Runestone said...

I approve of your thoughts. We don't need to hide ourselves completely.

This is coming from a guy who refuses to give out his last name, though. XD