Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Democrats and hamburgers

Hello, what's left of my followers. All two of you? I don't know, really.

Anyway, there are two items of news, as my headline so cleverly notes. Firstly, I went to a caucus meeting, for the first time in a while. We decided to give the Democratic caucus a try; it's a lot smaller (ha!), and seemed like it could be fun. Actually, it wasn't terribly small, largely because they lumped about 40 or 50 precincts into a single high school auditorium; they weren't expecting especially high attendance.

Although the attendance was, indeed, pretty light compared to what the Republican caucus is likely to get, it was much, much more than they're used to. There was a letter read in church a few weeks ago asking people to please go to a caucus meeting, complete with the usual note that "principles compatible with the gospel of Jesus Christ can be found in all major political parties," which was a polite way to get the "Mormons may only be Republican" crowd to keep quiet.

Anyway, after everyone sat around in the precinct meeting for 20 minutes without anything getting done, I took over and made the agenda happen, which ended up with me getting elected precinct chair. So I'm now officially responsible for persuading locals to vote Democrat. Hey, locals! Let's try to be just a tiny bit more like a battleground state! They get more money!

This entry is already getting too long, so I'll sum up the burger bit: We ate at Station 22, to celebrate the conjunction of white day and pi day (this happens every year). I'm friendly with the owner, Richard, who asked that I try his burger and give an opinion. The result: sadly, it was too salty, but putting brie on a burger definitely has some potential. I think the ratatouille sandwich is still the best thing I've had there. Rachel liked the chicken-basil sandwich, and enjoyed the fries, but was not a huge fan of the barbecue-flavored fry sauce. She did like the spicy ketchup. The decor is fun and hipster-ish, but they need to wipe off the tables a bit more reliably (several were grubby). It's a good place with really interesting food ideas, but there are things they could improve.

5 comments:

Andrea Landaker said...

Cool, I'd vote for you. :-D

I wonder how people's minds actually get changed about political issues?

Livingston said...

According to google reader, you've got 13 subscribers there.

lisalou said...

Hooray for you!

It's good to see a post from you again

Damaris said...

my brother, the democratic chair...

Way to go!

Balgram said...

wb