Sunday, March 18, 2012

Navajo Food for Lunch

I had lunch at the Black Sheep Cafe in downtown Provo recently. It's on University Ave., right next door to the old Los Hermanos building. The theme of the cafe (really, more of a restaurant) is "Navajo food." You could call it ethnic food, but arguably it's the only thing around here that isn't. The actual dishes reminded me of eating out in New Mexico -- lots of roasted green chiles, slow roasted meats, soups, and stews.

I ended up getting a pork and green chile stew, and it was very good. I apologize for the poorly lit photo; the broth in that stew is a light green. It came with either fry bread or a Navajo flat bread. Apparently the flat bread is a bit less, um, deep-fried, so I went with that. I assumed I was being healthier this way, but after trying the flat bread, I'm going to say "just barely"--it had a rich, soft, almost buttery flavor, with hints of being charcoal grilled. It's pretty indulgent stuff.

As for whether it was delicious, you might have missed the important phrase earlier: roasted green chiles. Those things are addictive, and you can get them in Provo now, apparently. They also had several variants on the theme of Navajo tacos on the menu, which is what I'm likely to try next time. Because yes, there is definitely going to be a next time. If you're up for lunch and looking for something to remind you of Albuquerque, you should give me a call and we can meet down there.

2 comments:

Andrea Landaker said...

You could also just come to Albuquerque. ;-) Glad we're not the only ones that appreciate roasted green chiles!

Balgram said...

A lunch that reminds you of Albuquerque? I'll be there in an hour! See you there!