Saturday, June 30, 2007

How to Lose Your Camera

It looks like there has been a serious wrench in the gears as far as getting further pictures posted: My camera went missing yesterday. I'm not sure where or how exactly; it just noticed it wasn't around my neck anymore when I arrived on the ferry near Hiroshima. I immediately went back across on the ferry and walked backward along the path we took to the last place I remembered taking a picture. The ferry staff also checked the exact boat I'd been on and said it wasn't there. I thought I might have taken it off in a restaurant (eel on rice, was pretty good otherwise...) but the staff couldn't find it at the table. None of the shops I'd been in seemed to have it either.

I tried to leave a message at the police box, but the officer was on patrol, so I left a message at the information desk for the ferry instead. The lady there said she would call the hotel if they found anything. I don't have very high hopes for this, however, so it looks like I won't be photographing anything else.

This is now Sunday morning. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out how to get to any of the Hiroshima branches, so it looks like we can't make church today. There do seem to be some branches in this area, but they're in rather distant prefectures, and I couldn't see any sane way of getting there by public transport. We're going to head to the site of the peace park (where the atom bomb was dropped some 62-odd years ago) and look around. Yesterday we went to Miyajima, which has been a shrine for about 1,200 years. There's a very nice torii gate built far out on the beach, and at high tide the gate and the shrine look like they are floating. We also took a cable car up to a station on the mountains, and I hiked to the peak. It was a bit hazy, but there was still a good view of the ocean on all sides. I believe that if you can make it on a clear day (which would probably mean that it would be a cold day), you can see a goodly dozen other islands poking out of the surrounding seas.

I bought some traditional maple-leaf sweet buns for a souvenir, and was having good fun until I discovered the lost camera. That pretty much ruined the day, but I'll get over it.

3 comments:

Cavan said...

Dude, that really really stinks, and I'm sorry. I enjoyed looking at your photos, too.

Um, I do advise you not to let it ruin your trip, though. It's a heckuva lot easier to get a new camera than to go back to Japan.

Anyway, I guess you know that.

Shana said...

I hate it when my day is ruined. Sorry, Adam. On the bright side, your blog will help keep the memories alive, and you can get a disposable camera for the rest of the trip. And this entry's title is funny.

Unknown said...

Read that you lost your camera!
Check if its found at www.lostyourcamera.se