Monday, November 12, 2007

Hitting the Gym, and Updates

I spent the evening with some friends who are going back to France tomorrow. We had a mock Thanksgiving dinner (France has no Thanksgiving, and they found the whole concept of deep-fried turkey fascinating). They have a cute four-year-old boy who is sweet and ignores pretty much everything he's told. It was nice to actually use my French a bit, since it gets rusty if left unused.

Shan, if you are going to get a membership then of course I would love to go. Actually, that goes for anyone who doesn't mind putting up with the gym's oozing, oily salesmen in order to get a membership (just be aware that the price you pay and the price they say have pretty much nothing to do with each other--don't give them anything until after you've read the small print on the contract and added up all the unmentioned fees). My hope is to go about 8 o'clock on weekday mornings, so if anyone wants to try it, let me know!

Oh, and Cav asked about a couple more passages. Here they go:

John 10:30, KJV: "I and my father are one." NIV: "I and the Father are one."
John 14:9
KJV: Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
NIV: Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

There are, to my knowledge, no passages claiming that a vocal confession of Christ saves us. The strongest passage that I'm aware of in support of this doctrine is this:

Ephesians 2:8-10
KJV: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
NIV: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

Nothing particularly notable on either of these. The word "vocal" never occurs in the NIV NT. The word confession occurs a couple times, but it doesn't seem to be strongly tied to the "grace only" doctrines.

2 comments:

Shana said...

Hooray, 8 a.m. is perfect for me! I have a few more free days in the Provo gym, if you want to go there next week (I'm heading to D.C. this week), otherwise I'll have to deal with the oozing, oily salespeople after that.

Cavan said...

I was thinking about the one in Acts where Paul tells a jail guard that if he will confess with his mouth that Jesus is the Christ, he and his house will be saved, or something like that. I'll find the reference and show you back in America, if you insist.