Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Plunging strength against the sea

Quote for the day comes from Steinbeck: "Kino would drive his strength against a mountain and plunge his strength against the sea. Juana, in her woman's soul, knew that the mountain would stand while the man broke himself; that the sea would surge while the man drowned in it. And yet it was this thing that made him a man, half insane and half god, and Juana had need of a man." I really hated that book (10 points if you knew what it was without Googling), but I rather enjoyed the quote.

I had a corned beef sandwich for lunch today, and it was very good. It had corned beef, pesto, provolone cheese, and grilled peppers on it. It might be worth trying to make them at home. If anyone wishes to join in this experiment, then we can make it an expedition.

Incidentally, it is indeed much easier to get songs written while the computer is unplugged from the Internet. I finally managed to scratch out something passable on my little electronic keyboard. I really wish I were better at it.

5 comments:

Damaris said...

I'm looking forward to hearing this song next time we're down there. Is it ready for performing?

Shana said...

The Pearl? I think that's right. I would love to join you in your experiment. Those sandwiches sound yummy. Well, I don't like corned beef, but the rest of the stuff sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Aargh! I've read the Pearl, several times and many years ago, but I needed to google it anyway. Dad remembers characters, quotes and plots, I just remember everything else. Mom.

Cavan said...

Writing is far more effective when the Internet is a cold, lifeless corpse as well.

Alas.

I think it goes without saying that I'm down for experimenting with new foods. I say we grab Shan and do another Riff party, because I was really pleased with the X-Files one.

Balgram said...

I like how he says MY blog is inactive and yet he hasn't posted in forever. Interesting.