Monday, July 14, 2008

"Family" "Home" Evening

The ward has started doing FHE groups, and I figured it was time to give the institution another shot. The last time I went to an FHE group, the group leader solicited suggestions from the group and mine was "keep it short and sweet." One hour and a half later, long after the conversation had devolved into an endless giggle-fest about some pop culture inanity, I excused myself. Unfortunately, that turned out to be typical.

I was hoping that, with the FHE committee rising phoenix-like from the ashes of the semester cycle, it might go better this time. It wasn't a terribly high bar to clear, but the group did admirably. There were announcements, there was singing, there was a short prepared lesson, and there was an acitivity which lasted precisely fifteen minutes (the young lady conducting the event ran a timer!) There was also obligatory candy at the end, which any child will tell you is the essential thing.

All in all, the new incarnation appears to be a success, and I'll try to encourage things by attending. It has long amused me that singles-ward FHEs fail two out of three of their initials, but it still makes for a good evening :-).

By the way, the girl conducting pronounces FHE as "fihee." Yet another acryonym is slyly sneaking its way toward word status!

3 comments:

lisalou said...

I think running an activity with a timer is a great approach. I wonder where our family got their type-A personalities from?

Balgram said...

You.

Anonymous said...

FWIW the chuch long ago trimmed off the "F" from FHE for singles wards. Leaders and others are encouraged to refer to them as Home Evenings. However, in my experience this request is usually ignored and the HE group leaders are known as "Mom" and "Dad" - exactly the situation the church was trying to avoid ...

Oh well. You can teach people correct principles but they will go off on their own paths by themselves anyway.