Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We Offer You Happiness

I get several hundred spam emails a day. Most of these are automatically detected and sorted away to junk mail folders, but occasionally the filters catch a real email, so I give the junk folders an occasional scan to see if I should have caught something. It was on one of those scans that I spotted this subject line:

***JUNK*** We offer you happiness.

The actual email was mostly filled with random garbage text--it would have taken a cryptographer to figure out what they were selling. I think this subject line is intriguing, because it boils down the entire art and science of marketing to its essence: "We offer you happiness." What we deliver is a plastic device that requires batteries, or carbonated sugar water, or a means of accumulating debt quickly--so come and get your happiness!

And on that happy note, dear readers, I pose you this question: Is chocolate ever a bad idea?

4 comments:

Cavan said...

Never.

Shana said...

No. Unless you're Colby Dawson. Wasn't he allergic to chocolate? I have no idea why I remember that.

curiousCat said...

As Sandra Boynton said, "this book is for people who like chocolate like most people like to breathe"

Damaris said...

Chocolate is a bad idea when they fill it with a cherry and sugary cherry juice. I guess every rule needs it's exception.