Sunday, February 15, 2009

Foods I want to make

I have some Chorizo in the freezer. It tastes like taco meat and is shaped like a sausage. I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'd like to try making proper sushi. I talked about that one already. I still haven't bought the deep freezer.

I want to make orange chicken. Brother-in-law Steve has the best recipe that I've had, so I should nag him about that.

I've been making a lot of roast vegetables lately. The method's really simple -- you cut the vegetables up thinly enough so that they'll cook through (about 1/2" thick). I do one potato, one carrot, and an onion. Mix about 1 tsp beef bouillon powder, 2 tbsp olive oil, and about 2 tsp rosemary together into a goop. Add any other spices you feel like. Dump the chopped veggies in a big bowl, pour the paste over the top, and stir the raw vegetables until they're coated. Stick them in the oven at 425-ish for about 25-35 minutes, until they're brown (the onion often goes a little black). They're really good ^_^. You can tweak the amount of oil to try and be low-fat, but if you underdo it they'll get too dry.

I haven't made rice pudding in a while.

I want to figure out how to properly grill tomatoes. I've tried a broiler but they still don't brown at all -- too wet. I think a charcoal grill might do it. Grilled tomato halves with dill, feta cheese, and paprika on top is really good, by the way.

I have a lot of old curry powder that needs using. I should make curry, obviously.

I used to have the ultimate recipe for baked pancakes. They're either German pancakes or Swedish pancakes (the difference between those two was very subtle). I don't know where it went. Same goes for my ultimate brownie recipe. Actually, I think that one's in my mission journal somewhere, if I don't mind putting up with 100 pages of a missionary journal to find it.

But seriously, folks, what are you supposed to do with Chorizo?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chorizo and peppers and cheese in an omelette. Or, all the same ingredients (scrambled egg instead of omelette-style) in a tortilla, for a yummy breakfast taco.

Completely different, a bit of crumbled chorizo in melted cheese for chorizo con queso, a really awesome cheese dip. :-)

Shana said...

I dunno. But I'm going to try roasting my own veggies.