Monday, November 02, 2009

We ran out of candy

It's a little late, but are some random snippets about the Halloween party.

Nearly everyone showed up late. Most of the food did, eventually, get eaten (and the barbecue turned out amazingly well), but it was more a trickle through the evening rather than a big munchfest.

Seriously, the barbecue was great. I still need to figure out a safe way to use a charcoal grill on my balcony. I put a tarp down just in case, and it ended up with small holes burnt in it. Scary. I used a sauce called "Soy Vey" for the marinade (this is what happens when Jewish people marry Chinese people), and it was really good. Just wow. I think you need to grill over hot charcoal to get the full effect, though.

A few people dressed up as rock stars. I wore solid black (I wanted some depressing jewelry, but couldn't find anything I liked). Kim probably wins best costume, though Ismail also made a good shot at it. Curt & Shana showed up nicely costumed, though they didn't go for the rock star thing. Mary gets an honorable mention :).

We played quite a lot of Rock Band. This was the point of the party, and it was entertaining. Thanks to Ismail for bringing the Beatles edition. It was good variety!

Apple crisp with cream on top is delicious. I should purchase some method of whipping cream.

I had a veritable horde of children descend upon my home. This is a refreshing change from the last few years up in Orem, when I didn't see a single child. Nathan and I knew we'd probably get more trick-or-treaters this year, so we purchased four large bags of candy. Ismail also donated a bag of Mexican candies, so there really was a lot. No matter -- the doorbell rang every few minutes for an hour or so, and we were completely out of candy by seven o'clock. It was kind of embarrassing, though no one played any tricks (that I know of...). Next year, we shall buy TEN pounds of candy. Crazy kids and their insane sugar requirements!

Congratulations on the mission call!

2 comments:

Damaris said...

I look forward to lots of trick or treaters (I think). We got zero this year, bringing our grand total to 1 in the three Halloweens we've been here...

Aegis Runestone said...

Tell me about it! I was rushing to the door and just watching the candy go away. O_o;