Saturday, October 24, 2009

Feeling Vaguely Important

Last week was not my first time giving job interviews. I've given a few job interviews, occasionally to people that we hired. However, last week was my first time giving a job interview to someone significantly older than me. I'm aware that by the time you reach adulthood, age matters a great deal less in determining positions of authority, but it was still pretty strange.

I still hadn't had a chance to run out and grab cheese by mentoring time, so we ran by a grocery store on the way to my place and had him pick a cheese flavor. He went for sharp cheddar. I couldn't stand sharp cheddar when I was 10, but it tasted good and he enjoyed it, so no complaints.

At a certain sister's suggestion, I'm holding a Halloween party this weekend. If you actually know me then you're invited (I don't know how many random internet denizens I have reading my blog, but you guys are totally getting left out in the cold here). We'll be playing Rock Band and (maybe) Dance Dance Revolution. If you want to dress up, dress like a rock star (this requirement restricts you in no way, given what I've seen of rock stars; think of it more as an inspiration). It's also way past time I had a barbecue, so the food will be grilled deliciousness. If you are vegetarian and wish to attend, warn me and I will try to have something filling that doesn't contain animal products.

4 comments:

Shana said...

Yeah, party! Curt and I might be trick-or-treating (our usual), but we will obviously see you this week, so we can discuss plans :)

Damaris said...

I like sitting in on interviews. I think I've learned more about interviewing that way than any other. Did the guy get the job?

I hope the Halloween party goes well!

Rachel Helps said...

heh. One of my students is a few years older than me... it's a weird feeling, isn't it?

Adam said...

Yeah, though I wasn't just sitting in, I was actually drilling the guy. Stumped him in a couple things, but he was very strong overall ;). He starts tomorrow.

And to Whistler: Yes, it is :). I bet it never quits being weird. I'm vaguely aware that a lot of middle-aged people this year said "dang, I'm older than the president!"