Thursday, August 07, 2008

I Want To Do Everything

My observation today is that life is much too short, and doesn't have nearly enough time in it for me to do all the things I want to do. Case in point: Writing books seems like fun. Obviously, I'm hanging out at a writers conference, and I just can't help but feel that these are my kind of people. I find myself wishing that I had enough time to master programming and writing fiction and music composition and cooking and a dozen or so languages. There are simply way too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them in.

Don't get me wrong--I love programming, and really enjoy the jobs and fields I've been able to work in. I don't think I'd have been as happy if I'd picked a different primary interest. But given the option, I'd rather do them all.

Sightings for the day:

I met Patricia Wrede, the woman who wrote "Dealing with Dragons" et al. She's a roundish, excitable person who bubbles about books the way Susan Ream did. I mentioned that I loved her Dragons books after one of the panels. She said thanks.

I finally got around to meeting Brandon Sanderson. We signed up for his kaffeeklatsch, which is basically a limited-attendance event where they stick 10 of you around a table (one of whom is the author), and you get to chat for about an hour. That was awesome. While I don't think he leaked anything that would violate any contracts, he talked a lot about the excitement and process of writing the latest Wheel of Time book, and also told war stories about getting his big break in publishing.

Another really good guy to meet was Jim Frenkel of Tor, one of their main editors. He had a really bad cough (I felt bad for the guy, talking for an hour and wearing out the voice he didn't have). He gave a lot of really good advice about how to get noticed by publishers--it basically amounted to building up some kind of street credit in small venues, because publishers get way too much stuff. If you can prove that someone's already given you a chance then it'll make them give you a second look--so publish short stories and get some awards! Actually, after the round table, Cavan and Chris and I ran into him again in the hall and sat down to talk for another half an hour. Cavan is familiar with the New York neighborhood where Jim grew up, and we got a wonderful story from his childhood about a time when they were pretending to be batman and robin, and actually ended up finding and catching (with a tiny bit of help from the police) some real criminals.

The number of authors here is dizzying, by the way--I think there are over 200 published authors at this convention. We're having a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Shana said...

Wow, that's so cool. I want to go to an author convention.

lisalou said...

I sympathize with your desire to do everything.