Saturday, August 09, 2008

The universe fails to disappoint

Lots of fun things happened today.

Firstly, we made it in time to get a seat at the round table with Larry Niven. Unlike the other round tables I went to, he didn't have much to rant about, so the ten of us just came up with questions and he'd answer them. Most of the people there were huge Niven fans (I think I fit in that category), while others had barely heard of him. I have a photo of him, if anyone's curious -- but it's a terrible photo, and I think it indiscreet to post it. If you want to see what he looks like, ask me.

After Niven, we went to a panel about the effects of the Harry Potter phenomenon. That panel had a Harry Potter fan-girl sitting near the front. Now, I rather think of myself as a Niven fan, but I have never achieved anything close to the level of religious devotion demonstrated by that young lady. I present as exhibits:
  • Every time a Harry Potter character was mentioned, she would squeal in delight. This was not infrequent.
  • Most of her comments were along the lines of "Harry Potter is the best book I have ever read," and "Harry Potter just makes me the happiest person in the whole world."
  • She was in costume and carrying a wand. It was a very enthusiastic costume.
  • She would happily and immediately fill in any trivial information that the panel couldn't recall ("Well, what color was the cover?" "Uh, blue?" "That's the fifth one").
That panel was a lot of fun, by the way. Harry Potter is largely responsible for a renaissance in juvenile literature. Publishers used to claim that there wasn't a lot of money to be made in juvenile sci-fi/fantasy, and the Harry Potter books proved otherwise. Since then, a lot of older books have been sent to reprint (Diana Wynne Jones was mentioned, as well as Patricia Wrede's dragon books), and sequels commissioned (such as the additional Chrestomanci books).

Harry Potter also converted a lot of children to the notion of reading for fun -- one librarian said that she had a large number of non-native English speakers in her area, and all of them insisted on laboriously working their way through the difficult Harry Potter books for their summer reading. They had to rework their programs around it -- but the kids were motivated, and they were forcing themselves to read things far above their comfort level.

After the panels, we went to a recommended pizza restaurant. We were hoping it would be good, but what we weren't expecting was genuine New York-style pizza. Yup, it exists in Denver. By this point, we'd decided that the day was campaigning for a "best day ever" award. The pizza was $2.55 a slice, so Cav and I each ordered two slices. Then the slices arrived and we realized our horrible mistake: a single slice was about as big as my head. I took a picture of one of them, because I was pretty sure no one would believe me -- that's Cav, holding part of his first slice, with his second slice on a plate in front of him.

It turned out that we needn't have worried. After about half an hour of blissful pizza nirvana, we returned to the present and discovered our plates completely empty. We both burnt our mouths a bit because it was too hot, but I'm pretty sure I didn't even notice. It was just that good. I wish we could get this kind of pizza within reasonable day-trip distance of Provo.

The next panel we attended was listed in the program as follows:

532 The Best Convention Panel Ever
Survey says: "If you put these people on a panel, you don't need to do anything else." Come see if they were right.
Connie Willis, Joe Haldeman, Mike Resnick

The panel was hilarious. They'd put it in the largest room and got a huge turnout. Connie Willis is a very, very funny lady, and the other authors got in a lot of good quips as well. Mostly, they talked about their experiences as authors, with fans, with rejection letters and so forth. One of the authors said "Um, I don't know, I've never had a story rejected" and got vicious glares from the rest of the table.

By the way, judging by the Hugos and the panels, it looks like the two people who are really popular right now are Connie Willis (she won yet another Hugo this year) and John Scalzi. I will probably be looking for their stuff next time I get books.

The last big event, as I keep hinting, was the Hugo award ceremony itself. As award ceremonies go, it was terrific, which is to say it was way less boring than watching paint dry. Writers and artists like to be terribly clever, so the commentary was entertaining. The award-winning novel, by the way, was The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon, so if you're looking for something to read, it might be worth a look.

After the Hugos was the usual wandering around and munching on things at the Sheraton. They upgraded from chicken wings to shrimp cocktail and lettuce wraps, but otherwise it was pretty much the same as all the other nights. Most of the rooms on the top floor are rented, and you can wander through and talk to people. It was sort of fun, but Cav & I were so tired by then that we drifted back to our own hotel pretty quickly.

Oh, somewhere in the middle of all of that, I acquired about a pound of chocolate honey. If anyone wants to try chocolate honey, be really nice to me. Fortunately, I am driving home, so I don't have to worry about how I'm going to carry all this stuff.

1 comment:

Aegis Runestone said...

Wow, fun!

... that Harry Potter fangirl makes my Shadow the Hedgehog fanboyness seem tame. O_o;