Friday, August 29, 2008

Schmoozing and a new restaurant

I was asked to spend the day at a convention in Salt Lake City, recruiting programmers for T-Splines. It's pretty difficult to find people who are qualified in both C++ and graphics, although I did get one really lucky break. While I was there, I ran into Howard Tayler, of Schlock Mercenary fame. I also saw him two weeks ago in Denver, so I walked over and said hello, and mentioned I was looking for C++ programmers who were good at graphics programming. Howard looked thoughtful for a moment, then jumped up on stage and announced loudly that if anyone were looking for a C++ graphics job, talk to (pointing at me) that guy right there! He's hiring!

I got two leads from it, so I officially owe Howard one. The least I could do was a web-comic link (see previous paragraph).

The other fun thing today was trying out a new restaurant, and this one has a story behind it. About a year ago, there were two Brazilian guys in the ward, George and Lucas. I hung out with them, and was invited to Lucas's birthday party. While there, I met another guy from Peru. I mentioned that the little I knew of Peru was the food, and he asked where I was getting Peruvian food. I mentioned La Carreta, and he laughed and said that if you want real Peruvian food, you have to go to El Chalan in Salt Lake.

Anyway, today I finally tracked down and actually ate at El Chalan. It is, indeed, a little different from La Carreta (Purple Corn Juice, by the way, tastes like a cross between Kool-aid and cinnamon). The portions were enormous, and I was grateful for what little English competence the staff had. I had Pollo Saltado (chicken, tomato, cilantro, and fried potatoes in a salty/amazing sauce), and it was very good (although honestly, La Carreta is pretty good too).

One thing I thought was really sad/funny was a huge advertising poster right by the front entrance. You're likely familiar with pay-check loan companies, those societal vampires that suck financial independence from the poor by giving them ultra-high interest loans. What, you ask, could possibly be more exploitative? How about a company that gives loans to people who need to cover bail? You've been arrested, you're taken to prison, you're given a court date, you can't cover the bail cost, and... oh, just call us! We'll help you out! Oh, of course there'll be a price to pay later, but who wants to go to jail? Precisely such a company was advertising at the restaurant entrance, complete with logos of all the credit card types they accept. I chuckled cynically halfway home.

I'm still wondering what Leche Asada is, by the way. I was so full after the Saltado that I couldn't order any. Roasted milk? Really? (It's a type of custard, by the way, but I'm hazy on the details)

1 comment:

evieperkins said...

Most people get loans to put up bail, since it is extremely high. A friend of mine got arrested for failure to show up in court and the bail was $5000. But the good news about bail loans is that you get all or most of the bail back if you show up for your court date.